Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Dear Friends and Family,

Jesus says, "It is not for you to know the time or dates the Father has set by his own authority. But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea, and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth" (Acts 1:7-8).

This summer, God has given me the opportunity to serve Him in Uganda.

I will be staying at Kagando Mission Hospital in Kisinga, Uganda for the summer, to shadow doctors, nurses and even more importantly to serve this community.  This mission trip would expose me to real life in the medical field. I will be caring and getting to know the poor and underserved, as God has called us to do, and will come home to tell their story. 

About two years ago God revealed to me that if I did not change my life, I would miss out on everything He had in store for me. WOW, was he right! When it came time to decide where to go to college, Tallahassee kept pressing on my heart. I had been to 'Tally' in high school but the only thing I found there was partying and a lot of it! So when God was pushing Tallahassee on me, I was terrified! I was even advised several times not to go, but God kept saying that is where I want you. So I went to Tallahassee Community College, where I have been studying biology with the intentions of going to medical school. God sure did know what he was doing, despite my fears of reverting back to my old life. He provided me with friends, fellowship, and strength to stand firm in this crazy college town. When I first came to Tallahassee I was in a panic to find my church home, but I could not find where I fit. I church hopped for a year, until God pointed me to St. Peter's Anglican Church in Tallahassee. So it is of no surprise to me that our awesome God has opened this incredible door for me to learn, grow, and serve this summer as a representative of St. Peter's church in Uganda.

Currently I have been interning at the women's prison in Tallahassee filing all the medical paper work. I cannot deny that God has placed the desire in my heart to go into medicine, and it is something I want to actively pursue.

I will start my journey with a group of college students teaching Vacation Bible School from May 12-26. Our team will be teaching the children in Kasese, along with their teachers so that when we leave, the teachers can continue to share the Gospel with the children. Then Kayleen and I will depart our college friends to go live and work in the hospital community for about six weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment