Wednesday, May 27, 2009

My name is Lisa Biira

Hello Friends!

Internet is not as reliable as I had hoped, so here are some updates...
Our team traveled around South Rwenzori Diocese in Uganda visiting all the churches for about a week. Some days we would visit two churches in one day, it was quite exhausting. As tired as we all were, God totally provided! The youth had a great time and so did we! Each group would teach us a song in their native Language.

One day we went into the hills to visit a Church called St. Peter's in Uganda, as we were leaving the Priest of that Church gave us a CHICKEN (which is a huge honor)! It was really neat because he actually handed the chicken to me and it sat under my seat the whole two hours home! Two days later we watched Peter our cook kill it and then we had fried chicken for dinner... I even ate chicken liver and stomach!

Last week is when I gave my testimony. I gave it at three different churches. Since we only spent about 2-4 hours at each church we do not get a lot of one on one interaction. It was a really neat experience to share my story because I felt like for once I finally connected with the Ugandans! My prayer and hope was that the Ugandans saw me as a sister in Christ and not just someone from America, I wanted them to know that I still struggle and it is only by the grace of God that I am who I am today!

Last Friday our team woke up at 5:30 to go to Queen Elizabeth Park for a Safari. We saw elephants and even LIONS! Our van did a little off roading to get close to the Lions... it was very exciting!

Then Saturday our team left to go home and Lindsey Kayleen and I made our way to Kagando Hospital. I met 4 girls from the UK. Jane, Rachel, and Victoria attended Oxford and are finishing their last year of Med School and Rosie is about to start Med School. Monday afternoon we all walked to an orphanage where we gave the children balloons and bubbles! We played with them for about two hours... it was so much fun and they were so excited! I do not think I have ever seen children so thrilled over Balloons! Last night a husband and wife from the UK arrived and are staying in the guest house. After dinner we all sat around a watched an episode of Wallace and Gromit it was so nice to watch TV that for a moment I thought I was at home. I found it to be very interesting that the Husband from the UK said that he brought the DVDs because last time he was in Uganda he was experiencing such a HUGE culture shock that he could not sleep at night and that watching something familar comforted him and helped him go to sleep.

Sorry all this information is some what scattered, I am fighting with the internet connection in Uganda!

I hope to update you all soon, because so much is going on! Please pray for the women in the Fistula Ward, one shared her story with us today and it is just heartbreaking! I hope to share this story with you all sometime soon... Please pray for me, I am starting to feel a little worn out and tired! My sleeping patterns are still kind of off too. Pray that I can have the strength to do whatever it is that the Lord has in store for me (as I am still trying to figure that out).

By the way... for all of you who know how much I love coffee and tea, the Ugandans drink more TEA than anyone I know. Ugandan tea is made with warm milk and water and is very good! We have breakfast then tea, Lunch and tea again, and we even have tea sometimes after dinner! I am really enjoying their instant coffee too!

No comments:

Post a Comment