Friday, June 5, 2009

Wabuchire means Good Morning in Lhukonzo.

Today... 

So I have still been trying to adjust to Ugandan time. Which means that I must slow down and just relax... a foreign concept for a busy American like myself.  Most days I feel like I have done nothing but sit around and chat with people, and I have realized that it is OKAY! I think I might have made my first true Ugandan friend. She is a nurse in the Fistula ward and her name is Goret. She is 21 years old and I have spent most days just getting to know her a little more. She told me before she became a nurse she thought she wanted to be a nun, and I asked her why and she said 
"All I want to do is proclaim the Good News!" 

Her willingness to obey and follow the Lord amazes me. For someone who makes 18,000 Ugandan Shillings (which is about US $9.00) a week and can not even afford to buy a BIBLE (which costs 20,000 Ugandan Shillings) and to be completely trusting in the goodness of God. Most days she does not eat lunch, she is lucky if she has 200 Ugandan shillings ( about 10 cents) so she can buy a mandaze (sort of like a small doughnut but not as sweet). 

One of my favorite things about Ugandan is that they talk in questions. For instance if they were trying to say that you need to wash your hands before you eat, they would say 
"you need to what? you need to wash your hands." It can be funny trying to hold a conversation because at first you think they want you to answer there question. 

Yesterday Goret said
"I trust in what?
I trust in HIS promises" 

WOW, how often do I let myself believe false truths or even worse forget the holy promises that my creator has made to me! 

I am so excited to get to know Goret even more. I have been saying how much I want to go on a run so today she is going to take me running! 

Pray for the women in the Fistula ward, because hopefully today we will start or try to do a group bible study (with a translator) . I am not sure how it will work out, so pray that somehow despite the language barrier that We can all connect with each other as sister's in Christ! 

Much LOVE!
Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment